Taking care of yourself is important. To feel good as much in your body as in your head. Taking charge is a sign of respect that we have for ourselves.
So when we decide to undertake a cycle of sports supplements (anabolic steroids, peptides or even growth hormone ) in order to optimize our physical performance, it is important, even crucial, to study it, before starting, of the therapeutic treatments in progress.
Why such attention? Quite simply that steroids or other supplements can interact with certain medications and thus cause certain more than harmful effects on the body .
What is a drug interaction?
The drug interaction consists in the taking of two or more drugs, simultaneously, by the same person . This can be taken orally or by injection (intravenous or intramuscular). The principle of the drug interaction lies in the fact that the active substance of one of the drugs will act on the active substance of the second drug, thus causing a modification of the expected effects of one or the other, or even both treatments.
The action of drug interaction:
By ingesting two incompatible drugs, the drug interaction can then take several forms:
- It can intensify the effects of one drug or even all drugs . If the two active substances have similar characteristics, then the effects will add up or even multiply. We then find ourselves with an excess of the active principle in the body.
- It can also reduce the effects sought by such drugs by slowing its absorption , or even outright inhibit it by blocking the active principle.
- It can accentuate the side effects of one of the drugs or even both .
The different levels of a drug interaction:
In order to protect patients from possible drug interactions, the ANSM (the National Agency for the Safety of Medicines and Health Products) educates users through a precautionary classification, listed on the leaflets:
- The contraindications : contraindications represent the highest degree of prohibition. The contraindication must be absolutely respected. No possible transgression is envisaged.
- The association not recommended : this level indicates that the association between two given active ingredients must be avoided. However, after careful consideration of the benefits and risks, the combination can be considered under the supervision of a medical professional.
- Precaution for use : at this level, the association becomes possible, but respecting the protocol of taking as well as the dosages, the frequency of the catches as well as the duration of the treatment. To be taken into account: the drug interaction remains possible, in particular at the level of the addition of the undesirable effects. Only a health professional is able to judge the relevance of the association.
The consequences of a drug interaction:
A drug interaction can be very harmful to the body. Indeed, it can manifest itself by more or less serious symptoms, depending on the toxicity of the interaction:
- Allergic cough
- Rash, itching, redness
- Skin burn
- Fear of heights
- Respiratory oppression
- Swelling, angioedema
- Central nervous system depression
- Mental confusion
- Panic attack
- Respiratory insufficiency which can go as far as stopping breathing
- Narrowing or dilation of the blood vessels, causing fluctuations in the heart rate, which can go as far as cardiac arrest.
- Psychiatric effects such as Psychosis, Neurosis
When you reveal any of these symptoms, it is advisable to consult a specialist as soon as possible.
Contraindications during a course of steroids:
A course of steroids can bring many benefits to the body . Indeed, the steroids Anabolics remain particularly useful when we want to gain muscle mass quickly, gain strength or to reduce body fat.
However, anabolic steroids are not suitable for everyone and due to their possible side effects are contraindicated in the following cases:
- Prostate cancer
- Breast cancer
- In young people under the age of 21 who have not completed their growth
- In men over 50
- In people with heart failure
- In people with kidney problems
- Hepatic subjects
- Bipolar people
- States of aggression
- Women expecting a child, or breastfeeding
- People with diabetes
As we have just seen, taking drugs with a course of sports supplements can cause a drug interaction that will have more or less severe consequences for the body. It remains essential , before starting any cycle, to make sure that it will have no interaction with your current cycles. The easiest way is, however, to follow a cycle without any other treatment, in order to minimize the risks. In addition, do not forget that taking alcohol or tobacco during the sports supplement cycle is to be avoided or even proscribed. Thus, you will put all the chances on your side, to maximize the effects of sports supplements on your figure. Take care of your appearance while securing your health!